Want a job?
Rick McGee, Jill Keller and I have an NIH grant that starts soon (like I think now). Now guess what it is about. Good guess- it is about FairerScience. The project is "Career Decision-Making of Future Minority Biomedical Science Faculty".
We are hiring a Clinical/Social Science Research Associate who would be located at Northwestern). The job description is below-- If you are interested, please send your resume/CV, along with a cover letter indicating four ways you believe you meet the qualifications for this position to Rick
It would be great fun to work with you
This new position is responsible for the coordination and management of a national, interview-based research study of the career decision-making processes of undergraduates in the sciences and biomedical PhD students. In addition to managing the study, there will be opportunity for the individual to participate in analysis of interview data and conduct of phone interviews. Primary responsibilities will include:
1. Coordination of communication and scheduling for onsite interviews by three senior researchers at colleges and universities around the U.S.
2. Management of a large amount of interview, text and quantitative data
3. Communication with individual students participating in the study over a multi-year period
4. Modest financial management, such as travel reimbursement, purchase order processing, etc.
5. Assist with development of reports and descriptions of research results
6. Assist with interview analysis using qualitative research methods
7. Conduct of follow-up phone interviews with study participants
This position requires an individual with the following background, skills and characteristics:
1. A minimum of a masters degree, or its equivalent through extensive work experience with progressive levels of responsibility, or a PhD degree
2. Successful work experience managing a research study or similar ongoing project
3. The ability to communicate effectively with a wide array of individuals, from college students to senior level faculty and university administrators
4. A high level of attention to detail and an understanding for the need to follow strict requirements for research involving human subjects
5. Maturity and the ability to work collaboratively or independently as needed
6. Skill at using basic computer software, such as Word, Excel, and Access, and the ability to learn more sophisticated software for qualitative research analysis
7. Flexibility to adapt to different needs and perspectives of individuals from many different educational, ethnic and social backgrounds
8. Training and/or experience in qualitative research methods would be a plus but not required
This is a grant-funded position of at least four years duration with the hope to continue the study for eight years or more. Salary will be commensurate with background and experience, up to the level of a mid-range project manager or beginning postdoctoral trainee. A full package of benefits equivalent to that of other Northwestern University employees will be provided.
Interested applicants should contact and/or send Resume/CV, along with a cover letter indicating four ways they believe they meet the qualifications for this position, to:
Rick McGee, Ph.D.
Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
Chicago, IL 60611